Re: Orlanth & Ernalda

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 17:48:15 EST

Hervé:

<< 1) There is a Pantheon initiation (very strong cultural part and a small
divine
 part) that mark adulthood in Orlanthi society. It follow a different way for men and
 women.
 Those that refuse to pass it are renegade.  Those that can't pass are *children*. >>

     That's my understanding.

<< It gives no *adventuring* magic power. >>

     It may allow some minor magic, but certainly nothing very impressive. Somebody who had not advanced beyond pantheon initiation wouldn't be a viable PC in most campaigns.

<< Men and women join Issaries or Eurmal indifferently >>

     Agreed. Eurmal is a bit 'laddish', but I see no reason to assume women can't join his cult without a problem - he is the god of breaking rules, after all.

<< Men join Chalanna Arroy through subcult for men healer (is there yet one
?) >>

    Whether there's actually a subcult, I don't know. Most CAs are women, but she's not a goddess of femininity per se, so its not a big issue. More men would join the cult of Bevara the Bandage Roller, goddess of combat medics.

<< Women join Lankhor Mhy through subcult of women sage by wearing false
beard.>>

     Again, I don't know if this is actually a bona fide subcult.

<< A woman join OA, get the magic (except the male fertility related) and a
social
 stigma >>

     Whether or not women can join OA is unclear to me; apparently they can join at least some Orlanth subcults which definately include OT and OR, because Greg specifically mentioned those to me as 'not a problem', but whether OA is also acceptable I wouldn't presume to predict.

<< A woman join Vinga, get the magic (except the male fertility related) and
is
 *normal*.>>

     Normal for a Vingan; its an unusual thing to chose to be, but probably less strange than being a female Humakti, even.

<< A man join Vinga, get the magic, and a much stronger social stigma without
any
 advantage.>>

     Not to my knowledge - AFAIK Vinga is still women-only. She is, after all, the goddess of female warriors.

<< A man join Ernalda the Mother with Nandan subcult.>>

     That would be my guess, but I have no evidence to support it.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky