Re:More Old Pavis

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 18:06:30 EST

Joerg
<< Pavis' main reason for going to Robcradle was to get revenge for his  family which had been killed in the sack of Adari, a satellite town of  the EWF totally innocent of what had happened in Robcradle, but sacked  after the destruction of Robcradle nonetheless. Pavis wanted to get even  with those responsible, both the Praxians and the giants.>>

Me:
I don't think anyone really knows his real motives. I don't see why building a city really gets back at the Praxians and Giants.

<< I don't really think that Pavis was very religious, not like e.g.  Monrogh almost 7 centuries later. He seems to have been a Theyalan  similar to the inhabitants of Dorastor, vaguely Orlanthi, somewhat  urbanized, eager for new magics taught e.g. by the Mostali.>>

I think this is speculation. He could have been religious, or at least a mystic. He may not have been Theyalan, most inhabitants of civilised Prax at the time wouldn't have been, certainly urbanised, certainly eager for new magic.

<< Whoever settled in his city, the disruption caused by Thog will have  made a new start. Joraz Kyrem returned from Dragon Pass leading an army  including Sun Domers, but likely volunteers from the pass as well. By  this time, Feroda and Sog seem to have lost their attraction, and the  cities in Kethaela were more important to the Jrusteli.>>

I agree about Thog's disruptive effect but I could cite various references that would still show a strong Pure Horse and Zebra link

  > As I argued before, contact with the EWF would have been highly
> influenced by Auld Wyrmish, the language of the Wyrms' Mind Collective.

 <<And the prevalent Theyalan language there.>>

Auld Wyrmish is not a Theyalan language, it is the nonhuman language of dragonewts, wyrms and top EWFers.

<< In that case I would expect a strong tradition of slavery in Pavis,  which I cannot really discern. I also doubt that slave trading was  strong in the Middle Sea Empire. Why bother with human slaves when you  can have the service of otherworldly beings?>>

There is plenty of evidence for Pavic slave trade, Morocanth traders cited previously for one, the fact that it is the main trade item out of Prax the other. Slavery would have disappeared during both the siege by Jaldon and then during the Ocupation.

 << Yes. America at first attracted religious fanatics strong in their creed  and persecuted for it >>

Perhaps like Pavis?

<<(in New England, besides hardy fur traders further  north), and ruthless mercenaries (in the Spanish colonies, along with  strong religious moments as well). >>

Like the Godlearners at Robcradle?

 Keith N