Re: duality of spirit and flesh

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 19:25:42 GMT

TERRA INCOGNITA:
> in trend of religious dawning age in the real world,
> the primitive christian church and the primitive buddhism have view of
> masclinism and extreme flesh-hatred (by opinion of barbara walker).
> does that dualism of matter &spirit
> comparison with gloranthan pragmatical religion to war & life clear vividly
> border of two world?

Not sure I understand the latter part of your question. I think one can find parallels for the above strands of thought in Glorantha, though as ever, what RW period is being 'analogised' is rarely 100% clear -- many ideas are chucked in which on earth are historically much later than the ostensible 'stage'.

I'm not familiar with Barbara Walker's work, so I'll resist commenting directly on that, except to note that in contemporary terms, early Buddhist asceticism was by no means 'extreme'. The most obvious place to find ascetic practice in Glorantha is the east (surprise, surprise). Both Kralorela and the East Isles have ascetic traditions, notably the Vithelan sage Larn Hasamador, and the early Kralori sage NiangMao (see YBoT2), as well as various more Touchy-Feely meditative traditions. I'd also mention assorted Vorumai practises, but then I'd be obliged to kill all you outlander scum to protect the sanctity of the Emperor's name -- so I won't.

> the dead sea scrolls certified
> dualism of good &evil under zoroasternism apparently influencing to
> judea &fundamental christian religion,
> and combination of the former and the latter dualism decorated
> history with their union, separation and opposition like
> henotheic manichaesm, gnosticism, catharism and albigenses.

The Perfecti and the Carmanians are the best known examples of 'heresies' promulgating similar ideas to the above.

BTW, Terra/inarsus-ferilt-z, do you have an actual name? Your contributions to the Digest thus far have been most intruiging, not to say enigmatic in places...

Cheers,
Alex.