Re: Pavis and Draconic Magic

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 21:22:20 +0000

Nick Brooke saliently objects to my

>> I tend to regard Pavis as a student of strange and powerful magics >> abundant in the EWF, but not necessarily tied to draconic methods.

> Pavis's single greatest feat of magic was the founding of his city on the
> Plaines of Prax. And he did this by dismembering the Faceless Stone
> Statue, in a ritual act which exactly parallels the Draconic Creation
> Myth.

Almost exactly - he fails to end his own existance (at the time of dismemberment, at least), and delays his transcendence until 10 years after he declares the dismemberment (and the construction of the city) as finished.

Dismembering someone / something else isn't proper draconic magic. But maybe that's at the core of the failure of the EWF.

Ending one's physical existance to achieve transcendence cannot be reserved to draconic magic alone - while I'm ready to blame Arkat for almost anything, draconic practices aren't part of the list.

> I agree there's more to Pavis than Dragon magics. But I am sure you'll
> find Dragon magics at the heart of his cult, alongside the weird dwarf
> and elf shit.

I agree that EWF "sorcery" has to have a source different from Zzabur and the way things are done in the west. Thanks for prompting the insight on cheating on draconic methods.