New Pavis

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 17:35:19 EST

In a message dated 11/25/99 8:28:50AM, you write:

<< Um, I asked for how _New_ Pavis was founded in your glorantha  given your insistence that Heortlings didn't make up the  original population of Pavis because it's "pretty remote"  over a desert. If many settlers could follow Dorasar to the  Rubble and build a thriving city there, then people from the  EWF could have done so when Pavis was first built. >>

Sorry about that, assumed we were discussing Old Pavis. I don't dispute that New Pavis was founded by Dorasor and his chums, and that they came on the Old Pavis Road (that was already built) as it was the easiest route from Dragon Pass. Easier than travel by sea because, until Dormal, the oceans were closed. Dorasor had a good reason to go to somewhere remote, and many of the settlers are described as refugees from Lunar expansion. I would hardly call New Pavis a thriving city, more a frontier town.

I am not argueing about what 'could' have happened, I don't disagree that settlers 'could' have come from the EWF across Prax, but what seems more likely given the evidence in published articles. I also think that having a more unusual culture makes for a more interesting place. Having Pavis as 'just another' old EWF town/ruin seems a bit dull.

I note that Temple Hill is described as having the ruins of several Temples to _foreign_ gods. Since this list includes Orlanth and Ernalda it would seem that at least someone considered Orlanth a foreign god to the city.

Keith N