Rut

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 14:39:08 EST

In a message dated 11/27/99 7:47:32PM, you write:

<< Besides, the Sun Domers are so xenophobic, they even  different width axle ruts to the outside world:

 From Jaxarte and the Sun Dome, SUN COUNTY, p.12:
>In the mean time, my driver set about changing the axles of my gig so that
 they would
>fit the wheel ruts of Sun County, a tedious but necessary task!
>[What could be a better illustration of the insular and aloof nature of
 Sun Dome >society than their roads!] >>

This makes me wonder what the origin of the different axle rut width was. For example, is it Sun County Gauge Rut the same as the Dara Happan Gauge, the same as pre-Dragonkill Dragon Pass (and therefore some sort of EWF remnant), or even based on the wheel ruts of Ronance's chariot. (which, from memory, either doesn't have wheels or doesn't touch the ground ). Perhaps the wheel ruts of sun county are based on the backside of a horse while those of the rest of Prax are based on the width of a serpent (or some other Praxian beast)? It could just be Sun County bloodymindedness but think it would be fun to make up a good reason and story behind the rut.

Any suggestions?

Keith N