Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #178

From: darvall <madamx_at_ns2.mikka.net.au>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 16:04:52 +1100

>Alex
>This seems to imply that Uleria is primarily a fertility goddess,
>which I don't think is the case at all.

Except that she is noted as the holder of the fertility rune both currently & originally. The only original runeholder still functioning in that capacity. (RQ3 Deluxe p243)
Which could also be the answer to Andrew's question

>...why does Uleria have Fertility and Infinity as her runes? Fertility
>and Harmony (or Fertility,Harmony, Fertility) seems a more reasonable set
>of runes for her.

as she has been holding the fertility rune effectivly for ever & is the essence of it according to RQ3.

Andrew
>It sounds like there's some real potential for Uleria Heroquests,
especially the Doomed Lover Heroquest.

Ah. Great suggestion. Thanks.

Alex
>What you say about peace clans may be pretty close to the mark, though.
>Uleria's significance in tribal settings may be on the lines "another
>generic distaff side goddess to tilt things in that direction", to put
>it crudely, re-inforcing those existing aspects of Ernalda rather
>than supplanting them.

I think I agree with all but the 'generic distaff' bit. Uleria's usurpation of the fertility roles of Ernalda would free the Ernaldan rep to deal with all the other aspects of the female side of the clan. Just as her presence would cause
(Martin)
>people with a tendency toward unhealthy relationships (to)indulge that
>tendency, becoming just like they've always been, but moreso<
(Me)it would also cause its opposite & so re-inforce the clan cohesion functions of Ernalda, although at some point this is bound to be negated. Having battered away at this I find my position (revised in light of recieved crits) to be much better stated by David Cake.

Alex
>Either a reference to my controversial and shocking theories about Nyanka,
>or I'm being ethnically stereotyped. (Make him stop, ma...)

Put it down to my being an ignorant colonial.<g>

Darvall- surname but also the one by which I am called by all but my parents; that would be just too confusing. Pinching the Tilnae idea as a sort of 'Love Elemental'

Darvall
madamx_at_mikka.net.au
>From quiet homes & first beginnings

Out to the undicovered ends
Theres nothing worth the wear of winning But laughter & the love of friends.
Hilare Belloc