Humakti fertility

From: Hughes, John <JohnP.Hughes_at_dva.gov.au>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 09:33:45 +1100

        Heys folks,

> simon hibbs:
>
> > I completely fail to see why Humakti might lose their
> > fertility. If anything sticking things into people
> > is sexualy assertive, especialy in Orlanthi society.
> > Humakt was a storm god, well known for their virility,
> > who penetrated deep into the underworld to unleash
> > an devastatingly powerfull and mysterious force.
> > Not the kind of think one would associate with
> > firing blanks.

        Humakt is Death and severed kinship. I've always held that as attachment to the Death Rune increases, sexual potency and other life energies naturally fade. This has been positively Gregged.

        My own take on humakti and fertility, from a forthcoming TOTRM article on Vinga:

"Surprisingly, Vinga also has a strong and seemingly paradoxical friendship with Humakt, a closeness that is reflected in both cultic traditions. Grim Humakt teaches severance, the casting aside of non-essentials to embrace Death, while Vinga epitomises a love of life and the spirit-spark of laughter. Yet both cults understand that both life and death serve sacred purpose. Vingans renounce fertility (often temporarily) to serve the greater good of the clan, while humakti gradually lose their attachment to the energies of life (including sexual desire, fertility and potency) as they align more deeply with the energy of death. Humakti, who consider both kinship and gender as non-essentials, are among the few fighting cultists who treat vingans as full and equal warriors, without the resistance and constant testing so evident in the myths." Collectors of the obscure may have noticed that I've addressed this a few times in some Cradledaughter stories.

John