Re: Humakti fertility

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 17:51:28 GMT

John Hughes:
> Humakt is Death and severed kinship. I've always held that as
> attachment to the Death Rune increases, sexual potency and other life
> energies naturally fade. This has been positively Gregged.

I've always held that there's no such thing as being 'positively Gregged'...

Cause and effect are admittedly hard to disentangle in these case, but I'd put it the other way around: it's not so much that magical/mythical association with Humakt "naturally" makes you less fertile, as that Humakti give up such things to become better warriors, as parts of geasa, etc.

> "Surprisingly, Vinga also has a strong and seemingly paradoxical friendship
> with Humakt, a closeness that is reflected in both cultic traditions. Grim
> Humakt teaches severance, the casting aside of non-essentials to embrace
> Death, while Vinga epitomises a love of life and the spirit-spark of
> laughter. Yet both cults understand that both life and death serve sacred
> purpose. Vingans renounce fertility (often temporarily) to serve the greater
> good of the clan, while humakti gradually lose their attachment to the
> energies of life (including sexual desire, fertility and potency) as they
> align more deeply with the energy of death. Humakti, who consider both
> kinship and gender as non-essentials, are among the few fighting cultists
> who treat vingans as full and equal warriors, without the resistance and
> constant testing so evident in the myths."

Seems completely backwards to me. Becoming a Vinga is _precisely_ about proving yourself to be a full and equal warrior to Orlanth(i). If you want to prove yourself the equal of and to a _Humakti_, join that cult, which is entirely without gender bar or preconception. (Which isn't to say that genders are without preconception about the Humakt cult...)

Slan,
Alex.