Re : Humakti

From: simon_hibbs_at_lycosmail.com
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 12:54:54 -0500 (EST)

Guy Jobbins :

I'm concerned that many of the magical effects attributed to Humakti smack of undeath. Personaly I don't think that Humakti, or anyone else, considers them to be dead, or the dead waiting to die, or any such thing. I can understand the lismelder holding funerals for relatives who join the cult, but that's because the kinship ties have been severed and so they have lost their loved one in that sense. The 'stranger' who walks in his place is not considered dead though in any way, to my knowledge.

Humakti know secrets about death, wield death and may even involuntarily exude death on occasions.

>anyway... my point was that humakti are not unable to conceive, but
>that death may be more likely to visit the unborn child, whetehr the
>humakti is father or mother.

That makes much more sense, but I wouldn't apply it to all humakti as a general rule. Perhaps those who have sacrificed for the Sever Spirit spell suffer this effect? I'm much more in favour of applying side effects to specific magics, or heroquests and powers. I wouldn't make these effects automatic though either. The mother should be able to resist the effect. Perhaps the White Healers know ways to ward against these effects also?

I'm sure no sensible Orlanthi would allow a Humakti into the same house as a pregnant woman, just in case.

Simon Hibbs