Love is Blind and Maybe I am too

From: aelarsen_at_facstaff.wisc.edu
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 18:30:46 -0600

        Okay. To compile the responses to my previous question on Uleria's Runes:
>>Alex
>>This seems to imply that Uleria is primarily a fertility goddess,
>>which I don't think is the case at all.
>
>Except that she is noted as the holder of the fertility rune both currently
>& originally. The only original runeholder still functioning in that
>capacity. (RQ3 Deluxe p243)
>Which could also be the answer to Andrew's question
>
>>...why does Uleria have Fertility and Infinity as her runes? Fertility
>>and Harmony (or Fertility,Harmony, Fertility) seems a more reasonable set
>>of runes for her.
>
>as she has been holding the fertility rune effectivly for ever & is the
>essence of it according to RQ3.

>From: David Cake <dave_at_starfish.net.au>
>Subject: Uleria
>
>> This makes a lot of sense, but if it's true, why does Uleria have
>>Fertility and Infinity as her runes? Fertility and Harmony (or Fertility,
>>Harmony, Fertility) seems a more reasonable set of runes for her.
>
> Harmony? Think of all the trouble caused by illicit lovers, and
>unwanted children, and sudden plagues of weeds or vermin. Uleria is the
>patron of all that too. Or you could accept Peters explanation that she
>loved the Boggles - or even say that the Boggles story is a metaphorical
>explanation of what is wrong with Uleria (the exact relationship between
>myth and metaphor being a little too complex to go into here). Simply put,
>Uleria Loves all Love and Life - she doesn't distinguish between the
>orderly and the troublesome.
> She has Fertility and Infinity because she is the original source
>of Fertility. A doubled Fertility would indicate that she was the current
>owner of Fertility.

        I'm still unclear on the Infinity Rune connection. Both David and Darvall seem to be saying that because she originated the Fertility rune and still holds it, she gets the Infinity Rune instead of a second Fertility Rune. Sorry for being so thick, but I still don't see the connection. Does the duration of her holding the rune enable her to transcend it somehow?

        Speaking of original holders of Runes, isn't Issaries the originator and current holder of the Issaries/Communication Rune?

Andrew E. Larsen