Infinity Rune

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 08:29:06 -0000

Andrew writes:

> I'm still unclear on the Infinity Rune connection. Both David and
> Darvall seem to be saying that because she originated the Fertility
> rune and still holds it, she gets the Infinity Rune instead of a
> second Fertility Rune. Sorry for being so thick, but I still don't
> see the connection. Does the duration of her holding the rune enable
> her to transcend it somehow?

The convention followed when assigning Runic associations to Gloranthan deities is that if a deity is the original source of a Rune (as opposed to the current owner), their Runes are Infinity + Rune. There are only two surviving deities in Glorantha who meet this criterion: Flamal (Infinity + Plant) and Uleria (Infinity + Fertility). They are the only worshipped deities who hold the Infinity rune.

> Speaking of original holders of Runes, isn't Issaries the
> originator and current holder of the Issaries/Communication Rune?

Yeah, but that's not one of the Big Runes that matter in this context. Issaries is not a first-generation runic source: he's one of the Burtae, bastard deities, child of two of the originals (Larnste and Harana Ilor, the celestial court deities of Motion and Harmony). If his parents' runes were relevant, they'd have been Infinity + Motion and Infinity + Harmony. The Infinity rune doesn't pass down, even (or especially) to crossbred offspring of Celestial Court entities. (I suppose if it did, we'd all have it by now...)

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> Nick