RE: Learning Spirit Magic and Characteristic Training in RQ3

From: Hibbs, Philip <philip.hibbs_at_tnt.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 10:00:36 -0000

>Ok. In the old days all Battlemagic spells had a cost. In RQ3 we
>have this new system of defeating a spirit to gain a spell. The
>question is - how much do Shamen charge for this service?

I don't think it's as simple as going down to the nearest Spel-Mart and picking spirits of the shelf. Shamanic magic is done by being taught secrets of the otherworld, sacrificing to spirits, integrating spirits, or beating up spirits, depending on POV. Most shamans, IMO, will not just teach this stuff to anybody, as they are giving their tribal secrets away. If a shaman gives access to a spirit to as stranger, they might be able to track down that spirit to its source and poison the spirit-well. Anyone wanting to learn from a shaman first has to earn their trust, and have something to trade. Many shamans don't value money, either.

If you really just want to calculate a cost, then use the price guide for summoning spirits in the game aids section of the ref's book, plus maybe 50% for the spell teaching bit that follows.

Philip Hibbs http://www.snark.freeserve.co.uk/ Opinions expressed may not even be my own, let alone those of any organisations, nations, species, or schools of thought to which I may be affiliated.