Re: Humakti / Vingan infertility; white elves; KoDP

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 10:26:59 -0800

Ashley Munday answered me

> "I maintain that being an initiate of Vinga has zero effect on fertility.
> However, many Vingans, if not the cult itself, do what they can to avoid
> pregnancy, seeing as how it makes it difficult to fight."
>
> Being rather gross and approximate, but the fitter a woman the more likely
> she is to concieve and the more likely she is to carry the chld to term.
> However, the more strenuous activity she undertakes the more likely she is
> to miscarry or give birth prematurely. If you're a souless bastard like me
> this seems a good source for the idea that Vingans are infertile from
> initiation until they recieve some ritual retirement from an Earth Mother
> type.

I'm sure that's true up to a point, but isn't it the case that many female athletes stop menstruating (presumably because they have so little fat reserves)?

> Anyway, what self
> respecting woman wants to sleep with a bloke that spends loads of time
> polishing his chopper and buffing his helmet?

Sound like skills that could be adapted to being a good cook. (Beat-Pot Aelwrin, anyone?)

Greg asked

> Have you ever read anything about "white elves" and where ?

Sounds familiar as being rumored from some mythical age.

Philip Hibbs wrote (of King of Dragon Pass)

> I got mine from Wayland's Forge.

That's in Birmingham, right? (Want to make sure the web site is correct.)

> Speaking of which, is it critical to have an LM on the ring in order to
> sacrifice for Mysteries? I started out with no LM candidtes, and didn't get
> any in the 5 years I played the game for. It totally screwed my magic up, as
> I couldn't build any new shrines either.

Having clan magic assigned to Mysteries gives you a bonus when sacrificing for a god's Mysteries, but it's not a requirement.