On Slavery

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 16:00:50 EST

In a message dated 12/2/99 7:43:46PM, you write:

<< It's unclear to me whether or not the Malkioni customarily have
>slaves.

 The only Malkioni known to have slaves are the Vadeli when  they conquered part of Pamaltela in the Storm Age and later  with mostali allies enslaved other Malkioni. >>

From Missing Lands:

     "The godlearner doctrine that nobody is free altered the very meaning of slavery (in Fonrit), and moderated the local slave traditions into a less malignant attitude."

It seems to me that this can be taken either way; either for or against actual slavery.
What the precise difference between an oppressed serf and a slave is seems to be a matter of opinion. Generally though, I agree that in principle the Godlearners were, *in general* anti slavery, but not anti oppression, anti tyranny, or other means of suppressing the People. Where is TTrotsky when you need him.

Keith N