Re: introducing players

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 11:41:50 -0800

Lee Watts makes his first post:

> I have found it hard to find players for RQG, as the world does not
> function like the regular world. Most of you appear to be hard
> core fans of RQG. How do you get new players or introduce the
> world to people who are playing other games?

Alas, the Digest does bring out the hard core-ness in most of us...

One of the best ways to introduce the world to players is to start small. The lamentably hard to obtain Griffin Mountain* is one way, since you can start players as neolithic hunter-gatherers and gradually expose them to several neighboring cultures. Or you could start everyone as part of the same Orlanthi clan, again so the amount they'd need to know would be reduced. My web site has examples of several campaigns that take this approach.

I don't think this precludes taking advantage of Glorantha's larger than life mythicness. It's easy enough for mythic events to intersect with mundane daily life. For example, drought could hit your clan, and they would perform the Orlantha and Aroka heroquest. Beginning players might take a helping role rather than performing the quest themselves.

You certainly don't need to take the dogmatic approach of the Digest. After all, Glorantha itself isn't dogmatic -- the Maloni clan two valleys over really does worship Vinga as Orlanth's sister, even though every other Orlanthi clan knows she's a descendent. Do they have secret knowledge, or are they just crackpots? (Or both, crackpots for letting the secret knowledge be public?) You get to decide.

> I tried to get a former roommate of mine to play, but when he saw
> player character ducks, he closed the book and refused to ever
> consider playing the game.

If you don't play in the Sartar area, you don't have to ever see a duck.

If not for this, I'd suggest my computer game, which seems to have no trouble appealing to people who aren't yet Glorantha fans. But it does have ducks...

If you're not in a hurry, the forthcoming Hero Wars game should be an excellent introduction to Glorantha as well. But it's scheduled for a February 2000 release.