Re: First Post

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 20:11:12 GMT

J. Lee Watts:
> Hi, I'm a newbie and have only played RQ Glorantha a few times. Right
> now, I'm trying to wade through all of the posts for the past week.

Hi Lee, and welcome. Just when you though you'd done reading all my crappola on the KAP list, too. ;-)

> I have found it hard to find players for RQG, as the world does not
> function like the regular world. Most of you appear to be hard core
> fans of RQG. How do you get new players or introduce the world to
> people who are playing other games?

I've done this a couple of times, but admittedly I've always had a mix of old hands and newbies, to some extent or another, which probably helps. I think the key is (what was that joke about how you eat an elephant?) "a little at a time". Start off with a rather 'closed range' game: everyone is from the same culture, the same religion, and indeed the same geographical region. For the Orlanthi, the same clan is the obvious ploy. You can particularise this even more: all my PCs are from the same bloodline, and live within a few steads of each other. Tell them the 'cliff notes' version of the cultural background (against for the Orlanthi, I think the two page 'Priest Sez', and the two page 'Father Told me' are very good for this), add in whatever hand-waving editorialisation you think might help ("Generic storm-worshipping iron age/dark age barbarian culture. Think Celts or Saxons or Norsemen.") and introduce them to the basic facts of clan life as play starts.

Glorantha has a mind-bogglingly amount of detail, and it's fruitless trying to beat it into people all at once (if at all: much of it may be completely by the by for many games). Introduce it via play, or not at all, that'd be my general maxim. If there's a game group out there that's begging for lots of 'homework' in background reading, or hours-long lectures on game-world topics, then I certainly haven't met 'em...

> I tried to get a former roommate of mine to play, but when he saw
> player character ducks, he closed the book and refused to ever
> consider playing the game.

You could have presented it as an opportunity to bait and persecute NPC sentient ducks, of course...

> Also, what do you suggest to someone who wants to start a RQG group?
> Finding players tends to be hard.

Loot and pillage your local games clubs or games shops, if you have any that are 'local' enough to be of any use. If no-one 'bites' right now, you might see if the release of the new game whips up a bit of enthusiasm for Glorantha in general, whichever game it is you want to actually run. (There will be bits in HW you'll want to steal in any case, I predict.)

Cheers,
Alex.