Re: KODP Candidates

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 99 19:33:37 -0500

Philip Hibbs wrote:

>Has anyone worked out a way of acquiring new candidates for the clan ring?

You acquire new nobles, who can then be made members of the clan ring, when your children come of age around 20. This is the the most important reason to spend annual clan magic on Children, as more of them turn out to be exceptional and thus worthy.

Also, in one of the events, another clan emigrating from the Holy Country asks permission to pass through your tula. One of the options presented is to invite them to join your clan. If you invite them, and they accept, you typically gain four to six new nobles immediately.

>My LM chap keeps recommending we find a trickster.

Tricksters make excellent scapegoats, and also permit you to allocate another point to Quests during Sacred Time. Very handy if you have been having problems accomplishing the most basic heroquests, like "Making of the Storm Tribe".

>I don't recommend sending expeditions west of Kero Fin, they never seem to
>come back.

There are *excellent* reasons for sending expeditions to Kero Fin and beyond, although there are certain times of the year when *any* expedition going that far afield will likely never return. Try to have everyone home, or close to home during Dark Season, for example... i.e., send them no farther than your neighbors' tulas (those with an "N" after their names in the Trade and Emissary lists) or at least keep them within more explored lands.

There are some wonderful events which stem from successful expeditions to Kero Fin, such as a group of Wind Spirits from whom your clan can gain certain special magics if you build them a shrine and sacrifice to them. I recommend that you send an Orlanthi leader with Very Good or better in Magic, and at least four weaponthanes and twenty fyrdfolk. Large parties scare off bandits and other hostiles, typically.

Michael Schwartz mschwartz_at_mindspring.com Ann Arbor, MI USA