Re: Humakt and Chaos

From: Alan E and Carmel J Brain <aebrain_at_dynamite.com.au>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 1999 16:25:06 +1000

From: James Chapin <71022.1646_at_compuserve.com>

> To quote from one of my Gim-Gim stories:
>
> "It occurred to him that the the question of separation was the key between
> Law and Chaos. Law separated things, distinguished one from another -- two
> sexes, male and female; two philosophies, good and evil, and so on. Chaos
> blurred all distinctions, including those between Life and Death -- for
> broos even
> Love-making was an act of Death, for vampires Death was an act of
> Love-making."
>
> So in this interpretation, the statement that Humakt does not care about
> chaos may be untrue. In practice, he has to be one of the least Chaotic
> Gods, unlike his quondam relatives, who spawned most of the Chaos Gods.

Good points, well made. But it's possible that a separation is made between the Chaotic and Chaos. "Love the sinner while hating the sin" if you will. Thus (for example) a Vampire, which by its very nature is an affront to the separation of Life and Death, is anathema to Humakt. But most creatures "tainted by Chaos" are treated with no more disdain than those not so afflicted. On the other hand, acts which cause the mixing of otherwise distinct entities are treated as being causes of more work than neccessary, so although not exactly hated, are disliked.

And, as you so rightly pointed out, the "lawful" quondam relatives have created as much confusion as the worst of the Chaotics, by spawning Chaos Gods. Perhaps it's this as much as anything that enables Humakt to take a less dogmatic view of Chaotics (though perhaps not Chaos per se).