Re: Greg and Vinga & such

From: simon_hibbs_at_lycosmail.com
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 07:19:58 -0500 (EST)

bjm10 :

>> Since Greg said at a lore auction (in Australia as I recall) that
>> Vinga is the daughter of Orlanth and Ernalda, my myth says so too.
>
>Everything Greg says is wrong. He has said so, himself. He has not
>bothered to specify whether this is an Orlanthi Everything, a Lunar
>Everything, an Arkati Everything, or some other Everything. Nor should
>he. There comes a point wherein fans wanting things "pinned down"
>actually detracts from the setting.

I would agree with you if you were to say that things that ordinary people in glorantha do not know for sure should be up for grabs. People in orlanthi society, at least in Dragon Pass, do know who Vinga was and what Vingan women get up to (at least in public). Surely it's reasonable for us to want to know that too?

Ashley Munday :

> "I maintain that being an initiate of Vinga has zero effect on fertility.
> However, many Vingans, if not the cult itself, do what they can to avoid
> pregnancy, seeing as how it makes it difficult to fight."

There are commonly available reliable contraceptive herbs in Glorantha, so that isn't a problem.

And Jane Williams ;

>Now, Vingans can and do drink too much, hit things, and so on, but if
>they were going to take anything in trousers that caught their eye into
>bed with them, they needed a reliable contraceptive. No, I mean a
>RELIABLE contraceptive. Such as we do not yet have in the RW. So it
>had to be of divine origin. So, the red hair-dye acts as a contraceptive
>(no, magic isn't meant to make medical sense).

I've no problem with that, though I don't see why vingans have to give up their fertility just to have red hair. I imagine the vast majority of Vingans choose not to have children, but I'm sure there are some who do have kids. I don't see being a warrior woman, as a career, and being a mother as being exclusive, except temporarily. The children can always be fostered out.

bjm10 :

>> Is there any mileage in the similarity between the names Vinga and Vingot, or
>> is this purely coincidental?
>
>As any good Vingan will tell you (at least 'roundabout Pavis way) the
>similarity is because Vingkot is obviously Vinga's mortal son.

Vinga was Vingkot's daughter, I believe. Unless these are different Vingas. There seem to be so many nowadays.

Simon Hibbs

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #200