Initiation, etc.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 16:43:48 GMT

aelarsen:
> The best way to see this is to look at RW ancient religion, which
> did not define social functions as cultic. The majority of people
> worshipped all deities (excepting Greek mystery cults) without regard to
> the social status or economic role of the worshipper. Individuals might
> make special sacrifices to particular gods to get a specific favor (a
> sacrifice to Poseidon for a safe journey by sea, for example), but they did
> not have the sort of 'personal relationship' with one deity that
> Gloranthans do.

When you say 'Gloranthans', I suspect you mean effectively only (or at least principally) Orlanthi, in this description. Greg has certainly implied that 'normative' theists like the Dara Happans (to say nothing of other traditions) differ considerably from this. Granted RQisms may have (incorrectly) implied that this sort of 'cult' structure was universal. I'm not sure how HW will handle initiates into the 'Lunar' cults, but I suspect that if they use similar rules, this will be rationalised by saying that only a minority of people undergo such initiations, people who are actual religious functionaries in some sense, or as you say, those in mystery cults.

Note too that even for the Orlanthi, 'devotional initiation' may or may not be formalised. Or perhaps I should say, will be 'more or less formalised'. But personalised relationship to deities is key for them, that much is clear.

Cheers,
Alex.