Re: Vinga & Esrolia

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 16:46:14 GMT

Herve Ancelin:
> >> So OA and Vinga are two cults for one *spirit*.
>
> > Doesn't this contradict your original definition?
>
> Yes if there is a myth with both as different
> characters. Hero proxy don't count because the
> myth could be the story of Vinga as hero.
> Father/daugther don't count either as it is the HQ
> of Vinga as hero that created the link.
> Is there such a myth ?

This is very much IMG (though I suspect "I" various other "G", too), but I think there's certainly myths in which Orlanth appears in what one might call his Chief aspect. There's also some fan-written myths in which Vinga rescues Barntar, so you could argue the toss there...

> As I understand it Elmal is Yelm. That is
> what I mean by two cults for one spirit.

As I understand it, such an assertion would get you tarred and feathered in most locations from Yuthuppa to Troll Woods, for one reason or another...

> > If OA=V, and OA=OR, but OR=/=V...
> > Quick, summon a qualified Catholic to explain
> > this to us! ;-)
>
> As catholic apostate, do I qualify ? ;-)
> OA=V, OA=OR so OR=V. Only Orlanth the Father =/= Vinga.
> Vinga as mortal hero did not HQ for woman acces to
> male fertility aspect of Orlanth.

I don't think a woman needs to be a Vingan to be a chief, or a tribal king. But I'll admit I'm fuzzy on the details here...

> > a Vingan could be, for assorted mythic identification
> > purposes, Ernalda, Orlanth, or Vinga herself
>
> So a Vingan would be initiate of both Orlanth and
> Ernalda ? Draconic brain spliting could be handy.

Not precisely. A Vingan will typically be an Ernaldan "Lay Member", "Pantheon Initiate", or "Worshipper" (insert terminolpogy du jour), simply due to being an adult woman, and an inititate or devotee on some level of Vinga. Vinga is also her 'in' to mythic identification with Orlanth, for some, though as you say, not all, purposes.

Cheers,
Alex.