Rule of Thumb

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 15:32:04 EST

In a message dated 12/7/99 1:24:58PM, you write:

<<
 Unfortunately, this is dragging modern socio-economics into it, and since  modern economics of any sort are based on Nothing Much In Particular,  I think it distorts your conclusions. >>

Although I agree with Alex on modern economics but I have to support the general suggestion to at least have a rule of thumb (possibly a Morocanth Thumb in this case) when, as a GM, storyteller or whatever you ned to make up prices on the spot. It can be avoided to some extent by always making players make an offer for something first. Or force them to swap it for some other item (a more normal ancient transaction IMO), or even worse, get the current owner to give it to them as a present and force them to give a gift in return (excellent chance of insulting someone here).

Keith N