Re: KODP Elmal Quest

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 99 20:13:35 -0500

Philip Hibbs wrote:

>What do I do about the Emperor in "Elmal Guards the Stead"?

There are three levels of the "Elmal Guards The Stead" myth: the rudimentary myth which does not permit heroquesting; the basic myth which permits heroquesting but does not supply every detail, and the complete myth which has the answers which the basic myth omits. The solution is contained within the complete version of the myth, plus your quester must have the proper combination of abilities (Combat, Magic and Leadership) and luck (clan Magic rating and good random result). How well you do in earlier stations of the quest is also always a factor.

If you would like a hint, email me offlist so we don't spoil the quest for those who have yet to attempt it. I have succeeded on the quest any number of times, even with non-Elmali, so it is not impossible.

Alex Ferguson wrote:

>As David D. pointed out to me at the time, though, ["Elmal
>Guard The Stead" is] about the 'hardest' of the HeroQuests...

Oddly enough, it is the Uralda heroquest which proved the most difficult to accomplish in the playtest versions I have had, mainly because few Uraldans or Ernaldans develop decent Combat abilities, and men cannot attempt the quest. The "Fyrdwomen" blessing changes that over time, if it is in effect; otherwise one must hope to either begin the game with (or develop through heroquest or over time) an Uraldan, Vingan or Ernaldan with the necessary mix of abilities.

Michael Schwartz mschwartz_at_mindspring.com Ann Arbor, MI USA