10 Things; stead trollkin

From: Martin Crim <MCrim_at_erols.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 09:58:33 -0500

>> **Top Ten Things Greg Stafford Got Wrong About Glorantha**
>
>- - Nasoblemes.

I rather like these, actually.

>- - Redbird's origins.

Was he the D&D character? I'm sure if we knew more about Greg's games, we'd be gagging on lots worse. I've heard that he often takes abrupt turns ("Your characters wake up on a boat ...") which make the players feel like spectators.

>- - Lokarnos's orbital period.

I'm astronomically challenged; please enlighten my ignorance.

>- - The year of Argrath's LBQ.

Eh?

>- --Peter Metcalfe

I don't think it's fair to blame Greg for THAT. Oh...

>From: "Hughes, John (NAT)" <JohnP.Hughes_at_dva.gov.au>
>Subject: Herding: The Third Way
>*** there is a third way when it comes to herding. Its one
>I've explored in my own Far Point campaign.
>
>Stead Trollkin.
>
>They're cheap, expendable and eat garbage. With the correct mix of
>discipline, they can be extremely loyal. You have to be handy with the
>crutching shears to keep the little buggers in check, and there are tricks
>in breeding to get the right numbers who are not too big, docile and just
>bright enough,

Speaking of breeding and "buggers," how do you deal with the inevitable cross-breeding? I mean, for a lonely boy, they beat sheep. IMG, the Illuminated Uzuz of Halikiv crossbred trollkin with humans to get New Trolls (Uznu), who were like Tusk Riders but with darksense. IYG, are these crossbreedings infertile? Shades of Larry Niven...

>>out of place (Christian's Bay)
>
>Christian's Bay is now seriously defunct. It's surely no
>coincidence that Greg placed "Corflu" there to blank out
>the mistake.

Well, that's a relief.

>From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
>Subject: Open Seas

>I'll say it's a mass ritual by the crew of the ship and automatically
>succeeds unless the GM decides otherwise for dramatic purposes.

I'd agree and add only that if the journey ends in disaster, people blame a failed ritual, whether rightly or wrongly.

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #210