Re: Herding Dogs.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 18:44:40 GMT

Dan McCluskey:

> (orlanthi most = ~45%?)

That cracks me up; I can imagine an Orlanthi chief confidently declaring that he has the support of "most of the clan" on some key policy matter. Of course, 'Orlanthi most' may indeed be sufficient, as only 'Orlanthi all' of his opponents manage to do so effectively, while 'Orlanthi none' of them are too busy bitching at the first lot.

> Whereas the poor clans
> that attempt to get their cats to herd, find themselves quickly destitute...
> It's kind of like hiring a bunch of Uroxi to "guard" your Beer.

"Where did you put the beer?" "So-- *hic* someplace sa-- *belch* safe."

bjm10:
> It's still so very formal and quaint. "Rubbish"--something a maiden aunt
> might say rather than the much more pithy "trash".

I think our difference in ideolectic connotation is more trans-atlantic than inter-generational (young man!). (Though, 1st year students are looking younger and younger every year.) Around here, trash is either a self-conscious Americanism, or "thrash" with the h pronounced in traditional Hiberno-English fashion. (That is, un-.)

Cheers,
Alex.