Cats Vs Dogs

From: Dom Twist <thazar_at_globalnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 20:54:01 -0000

Martin
>As for the former, Arabs and Koreans consider dogs unclean but keep them
>anyhow. As for the latter, this is one of the Top Ten Things Greg Stafford
>Got Wrong About Glorantha (tm). I was of the hunting alynx mindset, too,
>but was converted to the ain't-no-way camp by Nick Brooke, who pithily
>opined that dogs should be dogs and cats, cats.

Gotta say I dont see why Cats cant be usefull in the Hunt.

It's not going to be the same relationship as a Huntsman to his Dog...but that doesnt make it untrue. Much more of a partnership deal. My cat follows me around on country walks on a regular basis, prowling the hedge row and waiting for small game I accidently flush out. I've seen him 'Working' a hedge row with my big German Shepard also (Nothing accidental there those two regularly hunt together).

If I and my dog and can hunt succsessfully with a cat then a Orlanthi certainly can. Especially a Odyala worshipper who may well have a magical relationship with the Cat.

The Idea of a Cat herding sheep is silly enough to make me fall off my chair however. There's certainly a myth out here on the net somewhere explaining why Yinkin doesnt herd sheep.
(Yinkin the Shepard..........I'm afraid to say I have forgotten the author(s) and location I saw this at) This one says it much better than I can. Certain dogs are born policehounds....determined all should be in its proper place. Cats are either asleep, mating, eating or killing things.

Herding sheep without dogs is of course possible, but anyone who's ever tried it knowes how hard it is. And anyone who's ever seen the British Tv program 'one man and his dog' (Competitive SheepDog Competion......impressive or v.v.v.v.v.vboring depending on your POV)knowes how 'effortless' it can look when a expert sheppard and a equaly expert dog or two work a flock.

DomT