Uleria, Again

From: aelarsen_at_facstaff.wisc.edu
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 15:24:30 -0600

        From what I can tell by looking at Uleria (without having seen the write-up on her cult published in White Wolf--anybody got a copy they'd be willing to email or photocopy and mail to me?), she's basically a version of the great fertility of goddesses of the Near East, like Ishtar, Cybele, or Aphrodite. All are love/fertility goddesses who also have a disruptive element to them, esp. Ishtar, who is also a war goddess. But the thing that these three goddesses have that Uleria apparently doesn't have is a consort who dies and is reborn, like Tammuz, Attis, or Adonis, mainly by the effort of the goddess.

        So I'm wondering, does Uleria have a consort? The most obvious dying/resurrected god is Yelm, but his resurrection is fairly well established as not involving Uleria. So he's right out. But what about Flamal? He's a vegetation spirit, just like the consorts, and he dies and comes back, just like the consorts. But I don't know of any connection between Uleria and Flamal. Is there one that I don't know about? If not, should there be, or should Uleria have her own consort whom she manages to resurrect somehow? What's the myth behind Flamal's resurrection?

Andrew E. Larsen