Re: mythic verisimilitude

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 16:22:21 EST

Boris:
<< Uh, no. I got your point. I grant you that some Gloranthan place names  are "silly" (Notchet and Corflu spring to mind). My point was if I have  the choice between (linguistic verisimilitude and mythic silliness) and  (linguistic silliness and mythic verisimilitude), I'll take the latter. >>

Boris has explained they way I feel better than I did. Place names, to me, have resonances with a language. Without the language, the place names do not make sense and don't give a feeling for a place. For example, a french sounding name in England means it was probably originally a Norman town, a place with 'Chester' in it was probably Roman in origin. I appreciate that other people like Tolkien-style linguistic verisimilitude but personally I feel it is overrated.

On a foreign language side point; was it just a fortunate accident that Oakfed arrived in Prax at the 'Ruines du Singe' or was it some sort of place naming mix up as described by the many Digesters with amusing American place name stories?

Keith N

Keith N