Re: Exploration Heroquests

From: Kevin Rose <vladt_at_interaccess.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 14:52:59 -0600 (CST)

Andrew E. Larsen wrote:

> To give an example, one of the important NPC's in the game has been
severely traumatized emotionally and is slowly 'dying inside'. One of the PCs is a Chalanan, who is concerned to save her, but none of the Chalanan magic addresses the mind, only the body. Theoretically, he ought to be able to HQ to create a spell like 'Heal Mind' that would do the trick, but where does he start? Since there is no myth of Chalana Arroy healing someone's mind, how does he go about doing the quest, when he's got no story to serve as a template? If he somehow succeeds, does this create a myth about CA that follows the course of his HQ? <

Well, there are a couple of answers. Some groups seem to basically take the position that there is (Nearly) always a myth out there you can steal. The GM just makes it up. This seems to be the Seattle theory, judging by the descriptions I have seen of their games.

In this situation I would probably go with that approach, as it seems sensable. The problem is the GM gets to make it up. Have fun. Exactly what this creates is up to you.

You could also go with the theory that as there is no existing myth in anyones books, so they lose. Considering that the amount of CA mytholgy that has been published by anyone is really minute that seems like a bad answer.

On the other hand, if you are trying something completely off the wall, like a Humakti gaining the ability to resurect people by touch, then the player and GM are going to have nothing to work from at all. Given the current about of knowlage as to how the whole major heroquest process works I would suggest that something that wacky be impossible now. Or if they insist on trying it they get squashed like a bug.

Kevin