One Man's Sheep is Another Man's Goat

From: Gary R Switzer <gswitzer_at_loop.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 01:42:31 -0800 (PST)

Orlanthi Taxonomy (over)simplified: If *we* herd it, it's a sheep...if those Orleving bastards keep it, it's a goat."

Heler knows I don't want to reopen the Ob/Sub debate but, if All* Orlanthi agree that an Angora is a sheep and not a goat it's because Orlanth has let them know it's so. On the other hand, if All* Odaylan hunters decline to hunt the Bighorn Sheep around Larnste's Footprint because Ragnaglar cursed them and turned them into Bighorn Goats, they (and we) are on firm mythic ground.

That being said, even the Orlanthi are likely incapable of deluding themselves that dogs are just funny-looking cats. Bad Dogs are wild, very nearly wolves. Those are the ones you hunt and make thongs for your greaves out of. Good Dogs watch your cattle and your stead and warn you when strangers approach. Some clans keep them, other clans don't. The lack of *stray* dogs is likely remarked on by visitors to many Orlanthi lands. Want to start a fight in Geo's? Call an Orlanthi "barking mad" to his or her face. Want to start a blood feud? Call Theya Two-Mothers a bitch. (No offense meant, Pam.) I bet Euglyptus the Fat likes dogs. Little annoying ones.

Gary R Switzer
Aero Hobbies