Some random thoughts...

From: GAZZA <gazza_at_wantree.com.au>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 13:41:02 +0800

Firstly, I got KoDP about a week ago (it was delivered VERY quickly - kudos!) and have played one short game to completion and just started on a long game. Given that I haven't got much experience in it just yet, I must say that my initial impression is that "Peace Doesn't Pay". The short game I played a peaceful clan and had CONSTANT troubles with feeding my people, keeping up the cattle, and so forth (though I did manage to win - partly by constantly asking my tribemates for cattle, and partly by engaging in frequent cattle raids towards the end). Disgruntled, I made the next clan a Uroxi War clan, and the results have been MUCH more impressive. I've got more cows than I know what to do with, LOTS more weaponthanes, and I don't seem to get raided as much as I did last game. (It's early days yet; it's possible that my military bearing will be my undoing when it comes to forming a tribe, I suppose). Is this bias real, and if so, is it intentional? What are the benefits of a peace clan?

I also recently got a copy of Troll Gods, and I've noticed at least two apparent errors. Firstly, Subere is listed as the source of the Darkness rune - but isn't that Nakala? Subere, surely, is just the current OWNER of the rune. Secondly - and this may not technically be an error - Himile is listed as the source of the Cold rune. While this appears reasonable, you have to wonder why Issaries isn't therefore the source of the Issaries rune (at least in the sense that he doesn't have the Infinity rune). I believe this should just say that he is the owner (and possibly sole user) of the Cold rune, which is probably just a variant on the Darkness rune anyway.

Finally, one of the things about KoDP that I find entertaining is the cattle raids. I'd love to run my players through something like this; anyone got some decent mass combat rules for Runequest (other than YfB), or shall I just wing it? - --
GAZZA
"To know others is wisdom.
To know one's self is enlightenment."