Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #222

From: aelarsen_at_facstaff.wisc.edu
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 14:41:37 -0600

>From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
>Subject: Glorantha: The Movie! No, I have a better idea...
>

>>If somebody would plan to make a gloranthan movie now, what persons you would
>>cast for the main charakters for the Sartar vs. Lunar war:
>
>Well, if I were writing it, I wouldn't have anywhere *near* that many
>main characters in it. (You've got 90 minutes tops in a movie. If you
>put too much in you'll never get to the end. David Lynch should have
>known this for DUNE but didn't.)

        I disagree. The current trend is movies is for more than 2 hours. Even the latest James Bond flick is more than 2 hours. For a film like this, you'd want the sweeping feel of an epic. The error that Lynch made in Dune was producing a final version that was too short. The movie should have been 3 hours long. All of its major failings were because he tried to fit too much story into the second half of the movie and wound up producing an incoherent film that barely makes sense even if you'd read the book. Long Live the 4 Hour Epic of the Hero Wars!

>And that leads to my second observation: if I were doing it I'd do it as
>a TV series. Look, you've already *got* story arc! I'd start with
>Satarite kids being uprooted from their homes in the wake of the failure
>of Starbrow's rebellion and then move to Pavis... I've got the whole
>thing outlined in my head.... Just need the money....

        Sounds good to me. I know, we could sell stock in it! Oh, wait, that won't work... Perhaps someone could heroquest for it.

Andrew E. Larsen