Deep Background

From: Beyke, Maurice <Maurice.Beyke_at_tbe.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 14:58:06 -0600

Dammit, drawn back in. At least I'm not saying anything to Martin, this time. :)

Bryan Maloney (am I spelling that right?) said:
>I am a great inventer of Things one Would Never Use in a Game. Why do I
>do it? Sometimes it turns out that I DO use them. It's also nice to
>have a foundation of background upon which to draw. Look at how LITTLE
>of Tolkein's work actually was published in The Hobbit, Lord of the
>Rings, and The Silmarillion. Those works would never have been as
>strong nor felt as real as they did had not all that "useless"
>background been generated.

I actually agree with this 100%; I hope I didn't sound disparaging of your Praxian linguistics. My only argument is with changing all of the common usage names. But I love having deep background. The deep mythic background that Glorantha has is the primary reason I game there, and I don't use most of that myself.

Later, rmaddy_at_email.unc.edu said:
> Maurice/Boris wrote:

Actually, what you quoted was Martin's, not mine.

Boris