Re: recently settled

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 15:06:17 EST

In a message dated 12/14/99 7:32:22AM, you write:

Jim Chapin has a good point:

<< First human RESETTLEMENT of Dragon Pass: c. 1315 "Present" time: 1621-25

 Gap 310 years

 First permanent English settlement of North America: 1609

 Present time: 1999

 Gap 390 years

 In fact, given the great catastrophes, including mass genocides and  following resettlements of Gloranthan history, most "modern" Glorantha is  more like the Americas than Eurasia. >>

I think the point DomT should have been making was to do with literacy. Having silly names that stick is only really an option when everyone can read and write, otherwise places tend to be named after things that happen/happened there, or a description of the place. I could give some current examples from where I work of 'pre literate' naming of places.

On a tangent, I guess the settlement (conquest) of North America by English People/French People is analagous to Heortlings/Tarshites settling Dragon Pass, while the Grazers might be the Spanish? This puts me in the sticky position of having native americans as dragonewts, trolls, elves and ducks, so we don't want to push this analogy too far.

Keith N