Trader Princes & New Coast

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 09:54:35 -0000

Peter commented on my recent posts:

> I actually understood the New Coasts as having been incited to
> rebel from the Trader Princes by the Pharaoh, in an attempt at
> empire building and cutting out the extortionate Trader Princes.

The Trader Princes control a line of forts along the northern edge of the Wenelian Forest, between Wenelia and the Arstola Forest. The New Coast is separated from them by a forest and an actively volcanic mountain range. I don't think most of the New Coast ports would have existed before Dormal's Opening of the Oceans: they're boom towns along a newly-opened trade route. So I don't think they "rebelled" from the Trader Princes' rule. I am sure the Pharaoh encouraged their development (for the reasons you give), and that it pissed off the Princes no end.

> The Maldros, in particular, were taught Volcano magics so they
> harness the might of Pelushi to resist the Solanthi.

Fine by me, but this does not necessitate a "rebellion" against the Trader Princes, merely resistance to their Solanthi catspaws.

> I think the Trader Princes to have largely disappeared as a
> result of the Opening and attendant economic traumas. Only
> Bastis and Dital still have a "malkioni aristocracy" whereas
> Nimistor and the Solanthi valley now seem to be totally
> Orlanthi.

I think it's funnier to keep them around. They remind me of the isolated, inbred, castle-dwelling aristocrats you find in several of Jack Vance's shorter works ("The Miracle Workers"; "The Last Castle"; others).

> The Trader Princes would have arrived from Safelster in the
> period when the Stygians had just sacked Tanisor. Thus it
> is safe to assume that the Trader Princes are Stygians

Absolutely. Good catch re: their elf-zapping magics, later on.

> Given this I think they initially professed the worship of
> Issaries when they arrived and this helped them gain the
> acceptance of the local orlanthi. Plus their castles acted
> as neutral ground for feuding clans.

I don't think the Wenelians are so "Orlanthi" that they'd have Issaries Merchants of their own. Remember, Wenelia was travelled through but *not* converted by the first age Lightbringer missionaries. I think the Trader Princes *are* the Issaries cult in Wenelia, to a very great extent: as a permanent fixture, it was introduced by them. And I agree with all the comments Peter makes above.

>> Some of the local Orlanthi have adapted to be "local Trader >> Princes" or whatever.

> Although I doubt this applies to Greymane, his
> predecessor could have been such a Prince and Greymane
> could have renounced the traditions in favour of a more
> militant policy.

I could go with that. Sounds like fun.

> Although the Orlanthi do see themselves as belonging to a
> nation centred on the local river valley, central authority
> (of sorts) was provided by the Trader Princes, rather than
> by tribal kings IMO.

That's an interesting interpretation. I rather like it. Some day soon I'll unleash my old Wenelian notes on the world, and see what else shakes out.

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> Nick