Inkarne

From: Bob Stancliff <stanclif_at_ufl.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 10:17:08 -0500

>>> - Feathered Horse Queen ("Inkarne")

>> I'm fairly certain Inkarne is not the Feathered Horse Queen. My guess
>> is she's the Butterfly Princess of Holay.

>I agree that Inkarne is from Holay by birth. However, she seems to be
>FHQ-trained. Whether that makes her a full-blown FHQ is doubtful, but on
>the other hand, the Grazers seem to have accepted her as sovereignty
>priestess.

        KoS made a large effort to present information suggesting that Argrath married multiple women after the Hero Wars started, and then the conclusion tried to reconcile the stories to show that they are the same woman. As I read it the sequence goes something like this...

        When Argrath starts the war, the Feathered Horse Queen is married. His 'marriage' in that period is a contract to marry the baby, the next FHQ. A few years later there is another 'marriage' which is really a betrothal ceremony to cement the agreement with the child. When Inkarne reaches maturity, the real marriage occurs with all of the gifts, etc.

        The sequence is certainly not unheard of in Medieval times, though usually both of the promised are children, and the contract is between parents.

        Before this, he has apparently stopped or slowed his aging process, so waiting 16 years for a wife gives him something to look forward to without unfortunate problems due to age.

        It is also possible to reconcile the Argrath stories with the Argrath of Pavis story. It helps if you are willing to make some adjustments to the story-teller's sequence of events, or at least work with the understanding that Argrath was maintaining multiple identities until the Cradle came. Stancliff