Uleria in Hell?

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 21:06:54 +0000

Andrew E. Larsen re: Shanasse as love spirit

> That seems like a rather tenuous connection. Why would Aldraya
> take a simple love spirit as her mate?

For diversity and fun. Parthenogenic birth gets boring, after a while.

> If Food Song is a
> manifestation of love, that would suggest that Peaceful Cut, the
> parallel spell for animals, is a manifestation of love as well,
> but that doesn't seem to be the case. It seems to derive from
> Waha's association with beasts and death.

> The way I see it, the myth goes something like this:

<snip>

I have a problem with Uleria's going to hell. The common myth about her says she is unable to do so, being Life she cannot enter the realm of Death. At least that's how the Dara Happans explain the movements of that 8-hour-period planet which reappears in the east the moment it sets in the west.

Ok, the Orlanthi call it Mastakos. They disagree with the Buserians on a couple of planets and probably stars as well.

This doesn't mean that the Orlanthi would see the goddess of Life in Hell. But Uleria seems pretty much an imported deity (in daily worship, at least), probably brought from Peloria along with that Sun Dome deity, and the planet would have been named earlier.