Praxian Proverbs

From: MOB <mrmob_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 13:45:47 +1100

G'day all,

Praxian Proverbs

bjm10_at_cornell.edu asked:

>Anybody know of any extant Praxian proverbs?

Not necessarily proverbs these:

"It's been lonely in the saddle since the horse died." This was apparently found etched onto a ring-barked stump, deep in the Pentan prairie. "Don't spit, you might need it" is useful advice, which you can find written on the last water-cistern out from the Fever trees on the way to the Copper Sands in the Genert Wastes. And D'fann Lancehorn apparently has "No Fat Chicks" branded on the rump of his war rhino, but I'm not sure what that means...

Hey, I loved that one about the Yellow Snow!

Names and Places

George Harris sez:

> So, having places named for out-of-game-world reasons is detrimental to
>the fun of players who like their world to be self-consistent and
>self-contained. I don't think it's unreasonable to try to make Glorantha
>as accesible to and enjoyable by as many types of role-players as is
feasible.

But ain't it grand when these "out-of-the-game-world" names can be given a plausibly *Gloranthan* context. Frex, Andrew Rapheal said of the mysterious origins of the name "Rabbit Hat Farm":

>I just assumed it was another Australian joke in the vein of Lassiter's
>Reef and Pent Ridge. Akubra hats are made from rabbit fur felt. It
>takes about 7 rabbits to make 1 hat.

As I said earlier, if there ever was a RW origin for the name, I can't remember it. However, Andrew also mentions Pent Ridge. In Glorantha, "Pent Ridge", the name I gave the salt mines used as the Sun Domer prison (see <http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mrmob/pentridge.html>), is so-called because it is a ridge, extending for many kilometers in a roughly northern direction - ie. towards Pent. Fair enough? "Pentridge" also just happens to be the name of the grim Victorian-era gaol in the city I live in. I don't think this connection diminishes the Gloranthan "Pent Ridge" in any way. Even if no one else got the connection, it worked for me!

(BTW, the "bluestone college", as it was also known, was recently closed down and is now being redeveloped as luxury - and presumbly high-security - apartments!)

Cheers,

MOB PS I really liked Gary Switzer's explanation of the origins of "Rabbit Hat"!

MICHAEL O'BRIEN
Department of Science and Mathematics Education The University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria 3052 Australia
           Email me : mrmob_at_ozemail.com.au
     MOB's Home Page: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mrmob/index.html
MOB's Glorantha Page: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mrmob/glorindex.html
 DOB Footy Scrapbook: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mrmob/dobfootycard.html