Place Names

From: Dom Twist <thazar_at_globalnet.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 20:33:13 -0000

>> Go take a map of the US...then look at one of Europe....you can
>>immediately
>>tell which one was settled most recently....and the same should be true of
>>Glorantha.

>Dragon Pass was settled by humans about as long ago as North America was by
>Europeans ...

True.
BUT
as I pointed out.....The majority of Dragon Passes settlers were none-literate. The US settlers got all tied up in writing names and deeds to propertys down....with the result they havent changed much (if at all). The only real changes are if a town or community failed...and when new ones were settled. The US largely lacks the 'evolution' of place names that tells you so much about the history and background of a place in the UK/Europe.

This evolution of identity is a major factor for 'game world richness'. Now I'm not saying that we should all speak fluent Sartarite or anything...just that if you're trying to convey the 'feel' of a place then its name is pretty damn important. And that using a lot of US place names doesnt cut it in my book becuase they feel too 'new'. It matters little that they arnt that new in comparison to lots of things. My home pre-dates the discovery of the North America by C and co by a hundred years or so {although of course the Scandinavians, Basques and maybe the Irish got there first but didnt stay for keeps}....and is called 'Ivy Cottage' same as a half dozen or so Concrete things that got thrown up last year....its the FEEL of the name that matters. Your Game world city can have the look, feel and depth of a great fantasy city but if you call it New Jersey you aint gunna be taken seriously!!!

DomT

So Swenston or Wilmskirk is just fine IMG but I'd have trouble with