Re: KoDP magic

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 23:04:05 +0000

Paul Stolar:
>> How do we increase our magic?

David Dunham:
> It's a renewable resource, generated from your people.

And your activities. Occasionally you get the opportunity to sacrifice(or pay shamans for) luck. Spend in a big way, and you might get some luck.

My highest score in magic so far was after I dedicated the new town to Issaries with a sacrifice. 200 cows and 150 cows worth of goods gave me 256 points of magic. I didn't notice how I lost the first half (I guess I might have when I sent mercenaries to eradicate an enemy clan), but I kept 120 or more to the end of the game.

Alex suggested that if sheep are an essential requirement for temples, then sheep should be obtainable via game channels. Like tribute...

Collecting annual tribute from neighbours is an interesting pastime. A bit risky if you ever get weak (an open invitation to get even, make sure you have that stone wall before this happens), but the only way to get anything useful. Life cattle is fine, but when you get 80 heads per year as tribute, not counting raiding profits, your pasture never is big enough.

One thing which annoyed me during my last game was a pesky neighbour to my war clan which kept cattle raiding me after I enforced a hefty tribute and peace vows, and spotted my counter-cattle raids, costing me almost as much magic as cattle. Are successful cattle raids exempt from the oath not to raid?