feminist mythology

From: Tom Merchant <elysia69_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 02:13:27 -0800 (PST)

John says:
>>From: Tom Merchant <elysia69_at_yahoo.com>
>>>Try 'Women Who Run with the wolves' by Rose Estes.
>>>rate it highly. Feminine take on this Joseph
>>>Campbell
>>>stuff.
>
>The reference is:
>
>WOMEN WHO RUN WITH WOLVES: CONTACTING THE POWER OF
>THE WILD WOMAN
>CLARISSA PINKOLA ESTJS
>RIDER BOOKS 1992
I sez:
eek!. Rose/Pinkola - pretty close for remembering a book i gave back to its owner years ago(a rare occurance - I now have to give books in ransom when borrowing) .

Being at work when i read the digest i get titles, names & quotes wrong. My apologies in advance if I get this one wrong:

John says:
>I'm unaware of any particular work by Von Franz on
>women and mythology,
>and
>would be grateful for specific references.

'The feminine in Fairy Tales' by MLVF. At least the title is pretty close if not accurate.

John says:
>Now personally, I
>would
>be very cautious about labelling any orthodox Jungian
>work as
>'feminist'.

When reading apologetic right-wingers such as Robert Bly I like to hold some poetic terrorism such as 'Temporary Autonomous Zone' (Hakim Bey) to my chest for protection.

Criticism noted, but my humble non academic self noted a move by Von Franz to make strong self-willed women archetypes visible. Those archetypes were just not getting the time. This lack of understanding or even of interest in the feminine soul is also evident in current thinking on glorantha.

Id like to be shown a myth that shows women not just strong, selfwilled & inspired but autonomous as well. Until then I think you are right - my feminist label is inaccurate.

Von Franz's best work, in my opinion, is her stuff on 'The Golden Ass'.

Do You Yahoo!?
Thousands of Stores. Millions of Products. All in one place. Yahoo! Shopping: http://shopping.yahoo.com