Trader Princes vs. New Coast

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 18:32:56 -0000

Jeff Kyer writes, in a commendable first post:

> If the Trader Princes control most of the ports and harbors
> along that very long reach of coast, they would continue to
> flourish, I think.

My posted material suggested that the Trader Princes and the New Coast ports are deadly commercial rivals. So, while I (and my Trader Princes) would agree whole-heartedly with what you say, the point IMG would be that they *don't*. (That is, it's a big "if").

In the past, they've made their wealth sponging off the only overland trade route between the West and the Holy Country, not developing the local economy of Wenelia. While they could try and diversify (building up local trade in "Manirian Furs" or whatever, as you suggest), this is a major wrench from what they've done in the past. I don't think the transition will be easy, especially for this bunch of inbred decadent aristos.

Moreover, there are plenty of rampant Wenelian warlords looking to muscle in on anything valuable in their territory, which certainly wasn't the case before the Opening (at least, not to Greymane's present degree). Interesting times.

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> Nick