Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #236

From: Brian Tickler <tickler_at_netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 14:15:09 -0800 (PST)

> Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 15:38:25 EST
> From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
> Subject: Glorantha Gaming
>
> In a message dated 12/17/99 5:45:22PM, you write:
> Brian Tickler
> << Glorantha is *not* bigger
> than just gaming; never has been, never will be. >>
>
> I do not entirely agree that Glorantha isn't bigger than gaming (whatever is
> meant by "bigger"). I enjoy reading the history and stuff without thinking
> "this isn't relevant ot my games therefore why bother reading it". I feel
> that gaming is just one way (a good way, probably the best way) of enjoying
> Glorantha, but not the only way.
>
> I may be quoting Brian slightly out of context, and wouldn't criticise him
> for 'only' enjoying it as part of a game, but thought it worth saying.

I agree, but until more than a mere handful of people think likewise, Glorantha will remain a superb game world setting and that will be the scope of its influence. Maybe they need to hire those Dragonlance writers to try and "literize" it (that's a joke, please do not even consider that notion :)...).

> Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 15:25:28
> From: "George W. Harris" <gharris_at_mindspring.com>
> Subject: One Kind of Fun?
>
> Martin plays to have fun, too. It just happens that he has fun doing
> different things than you do. Your post seems to imply that if one doesn't
> have fun the way *you* have fun, then one is doing something wrong. A smug
> 'I am the purveyor of the One True Way to have fun, and I can teach you to
> be like me' attitude sends most players running as well. Not everyone
> thinks Malkioni Brownshirts and Mad Max references enhance their
> roleplaying fun; if you like the idea of a Stoogeopolis ruled by a
> triumvirate of Larry Curly and Moe, fine, but don't try to inflict it on
> everyone else.

Mad Max? It seems apparent you've confused me with someone else possibly named Brian. Anyone who knows me and has played with me will be having a good laugh right about now, since my campaign is about as humor-free as they come (not that we don't laugh, but I like the jokes to be made by the players, outside the game, not by the characters who are leading heroic and dangerous lives); Ducks do not exist, and nobody has played a Trickster in my game for quite a while, knowing that the first time they pull a stupid prank that makes no sense in-game, they will probably die for it:

"The Lunar guard is too shocked to move for a moment after you tweak his nose...his buddies are laughing though...now they've stopped laughing, and are taking you into custody...something about assaulting a Lunar soldier on duty...the legate hears your case, then throws you into jail for a week, after which you receive 200 lashes in public (lower your charisma by 2 permanently for that, btw). Your equipment is impounded and you spend 2 seasons trying to get back the few pieces that haven't mysteriously disappeared while in storage...after your hotfoot attempt on the guard to get revenge, you are crucified..."

Ok, in any case, your response is overly colored by your assumption of my identity; you may want to read it again. There's no point in responding to points that are all targetted at a mistaken assumption about my play style.