Daka Fal and magic

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 12:05:13 +1300

David Dunham:

>The base RQ3 rules make a pretty strict division between the three
>types of magic; since ancestor worshippers are often shamanists,
>perhaps this was the source.

I doubt it very much since Cults of Prax had the following statements "The cult dislikes gods in genereal..." and "Initiates must be willing to disavow all previous cult connections...".

>(Of course, the example of Glorantha
>shows that the separation isn't as rigid as the rules, though I do
>remember that one of the crimes of the God Learners was supposedly
>that they broke the RQ3 rules and use all three sorts of magic.)

Slightly off the mark.

	"The God Learners ... organized all gloranthan magic
	into three dominant systems.  Not everything is really
	so neat.  Sometimes local differences override the
	common factors which the God Learners used to categorize
	everything...".
			Glorantha Book p24

My own take on this is that the God Learners did not see themselves as belonging to any one of the four traditions that they classified but that their own magics resulted from a superior view of the cosmos that had all of the strengths and none of the weakness of the other traditions.

Although others would have (rightly) considered the God Learners to be sorcerers, they restricted that sphere to Zzabur and his minions.