Me on Bob on me, misc.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 00:53:34 GMT

Bob Stancliff:
> If RW merchants devoutly worshipped a god of Communication and Harmony,
> don't you think there would be a lot less graft and corruption in
> business?

If RW Western Leaders worshipped a god of peace and self-sacrifice, don't you thing there would be a lot less-- no, hold on, that can't be right...

> Lying violates Communication and theft violates Harmony... IMO.
> Not that Communication equates to Truth, but it should support accurate
> statements.

The Harmonious statement isn't always the most accurate one, though obviously blatent, large distortions are rarely a good plan. The doctrine is 'whatever sounds good', or, 'whatever we can sell to our constituents', etc. I'm reminded of that old cynic's saw, that hypocrisy is the vaseline of social intercourse.

> > In Glorantha at least (I don't know I want to blame them for RQ3
> > entirely) another of the GL crimes is having made that rule up in the
> > first place. (Whether that makes their subsequently breaking better
> > or worse or not is a moral nuance I'll ignore...)
> Please... implying that the godslearners made the game rules is at least
> a violation of causality.

To be more explicit about what inferences it would be correct to draw from my statement: they created the three-fold (or four-fold) distinction between categories of magic, method of worship, cosmology, etc, that lob up in the game-rules as the different magic systems. It's clear that the GLers both helped create/reinforce this distinctions and categories _in Glorantha_, by their actions, as well as employing the well-know research tool of Ignore Countervailing Evidence, when they found things that didn't fit their pattern.

> They did try to determine the true nature of
> the world and how everything works, which is the necessary function of
> rules and background material, but that level of knowledge is effectively
> impossible for a character within the game world, and yet, it is essential
> for the person running the game world.

I suppose a 'level four debate' is the logical successor to a 'level three slagging match'. But it's been done, I refer you back to the archives if you're really keen.

Cheers,
Alex.

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #244