"Works in Progress" or Fanzines?

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 09:22:26 -0000

Dave Fiorito asks:

> Of the four Issaries Works in Progress which would be the most
> useful for someone whose campaign is set in Sartar/Prax/The
> Holy Country and sometimes Balazar in the mid-1620s.

Er... that depends. While you could make a case for the Fortunate Succession (as "least irrelevant"), I think I'll pass on to Part II and let you make up your own mind:

> Alternatively could someone summarize what each of these is about?

THE ENTEKOSIAD Mythologies of north-western Peloria, including "Green Age" neolithic tales, some stories which give a rather strange "spin" to Dara Happan mythology, and the glorious origins of Pelandan (Oronin Valley) civilisation. Plus a tiny section on Lunar-era heroquest visits to these mythologies.

THE GLORIOUS REASCENT OF YELM Myths of Dara Happa, from Creation to the re-establishment of the Dara Happan Empire in the First Age (roughly 1400 years ago). All with a very different flavour to familiar Orlanthi-Praxian-Jrusteli monomythical accounts. Plus notes on astronomy and astrology.

THE FORTUNATE SUCCESSION History of all the Dara Happan Emperors (and therefore of Pelorian and related major world events), including biographical material about Moonson, the Red Emperor. Also notes on the evolution of Yelmic religion. Closely related to the Glorious Reascent, but comes right up to Modern Times (e.g. Lunar conquest of Sartar).

MISSING LANDS All the bits missing from the Genertela boxed set: this is effectively the "Oceans and Islands" and "Pamaltela Book" that should have been in the World of Glorantha. Not up to the quality of the published material, and weak cartography, but probably the most immediately "useful" of the four Works-in-Progress.

> Or would it be better to invest in the fanzines (I only have the
> Book of Drastic Resolution - Darkness and Prax)?

If you're playing in Prax, you would do *far* better to buy "Tales of the Reaching Moon" issues #14 and #15 (the two-part Praxian Special). If you're playing in Sartar, buy Tales #18 (the first Sartar Special). While you're on that buying spree, why not pick up Tales #16 (Lunar Special) and #17 (miscellaneous stuff, including the Holy Country city of Seapolis and more Lunar cults).

Every issue of "Tales" includes RQ scenarios, RQ stats, RQ cult writeups, and genuinely playable material. None of the Issaries Inc. "works in progress" have anything comparable to this.

And you can buy many copies of Tales for the price of one WiP book.

Other zines:

"Tradetalk" issues #4 & #5 were Holy Country specials, including history and geography of the region. Probably dead good for games set there.

"Enclosure" is also a good buy: #1 has lots of "historical" Orlanthi info from the "Taming of Dragon Pass" period (early Third Age), while #2 has a more scattergun approach including material on the Orlanthi and Grazelanders (amid much else).

"Ye Booke of Tentacles" vol.2 has reams of detail about one Sartarite tribe, inter much alia.

More details (including product availability) on my website:

        http://www.btinternet.com/~Nick_Brooke/products.htm

Caveat Emptor: I work with the Reaching Moon Megacorp, publishers of "Tales". Some of my material appears in Tales. While I don't get any dosh if you buy it, it seems only fair to let you know I may be biased.

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> Nick