Great Map

From: MOB <mrmob_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 09:43:47 +1100

G'day all,

Great Map

Gary R Switzer sez of his Great Map story:

>My idea was that the copper plates would be used to brand vellum, having been
>heated either magically or mundanely. Fine details could be filled in by
hand. Not
>a method for mass production but the Great Library might only need a copy
on rare
>occasions. The Lunars got carried away, but they would. :)

This is cool, so it's gotta be true! I heard the Lunars got a copy of the map by having a succession of bare-backed slaves "accidentally" lean against the heated-up plates, shortly after an official copy was made for the Matriarch...

>Ink block printing might be used in the East and there might be a budding
young
>Gutenberg out West. Leonardo has undoubtably constructed some sort of wacky
>device that prints menus or bingo cards.

Which to buy...

Dave Fiorito asks:

>Of the four Issaries Works in Progress which would be the most useful for
>someone whose campaign is set in Sartar/Prax/The Holy Country and sometimes
>Balazar in the mid-1620s.

Unfortunately, none of these is going to be especially helpful for what you're interested in doing. "Missing Lands" would be my pick (if say, your grandmother is going to buy you just one Issaries publication for Christmas) as it written as a gaming resource, not as Gloranthan historical documents like the other three.

>Or would it be better to invest in the fanzines (I only have the Book of
>Drastic Resolution - Darkness and Prax)?

As you're looking at Glorantha with *gaming* in mind - absolutely! Top of your list should be Tales of the Reaching Moon: try to get your hands on issues #15 & #16 (Prax specials), issue #17 (Seapolis, as well as cool Lunar stuff) and #18 (Sartar special). Bugger it, buy any issue you can! I think you'll find them very helpful, as they've got scenarios, cults, and all manner of material directly related to *gaming* in Glorantha, as well as enjoying it as a literary creation.

Other fanzines you should have a look at include Enclosure (excellent Sartar stuff, esp. in #1), Tradetalk (there was a Holy Country issue with a damn fine map), and Ye Booke of Tentacles II, which features a load of detail on a Sartarite tribe.

IMO, if you're a gamer, these fanzines also represent far greater value for money than the Issaries WiPs.

Cheers,

MOB