Watching Spells & Potential Converts

From: darvall <madamx_at_ns2.mikka.net.au>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 12:38:03 +1100

Simon Hibbs
>...I think Gloranthans in the know can quite clearly see a fundamental
>>difference when an umath shaman invokes a magical power and when an
>Orlanth >priest invokes a magical power, even when in RQ terms they are
>using the
>same rune spell...

puts his finger on something that has been vaugely bothering me for some time. Presumably the shamanic manifestation is as varied as the shamans & the spirits involved whilst theistic worship produces a much more predictable (Tricksters excepted?) show. Sourcery of course should be utterly predictable except where you bugger the spell up & are consequently torn to pieces by demons.
This also addresses the relative strengths of the methods. Shamans are the most flexible at the cost of predictability while sourcerors can repeat their results but have to work harder to get a range of effects. Illuminants have the benefit of both but run a greater risk of going mad/turning into a gorp etc.
Just a theory.

On to other matters, I am trying to convert a DnD group to Glorantha. They are already fans of CoC, Nephilim, & Mythos. What reading is suggested for such folk? I had thought of those con books with Nephilim & CoC scenarios as well as Gloranthan material but other suggestions are welcome. They are not munchkins so I'm looking for the item that gives the best "feel" for the lozenge.

Thanks to Mike Cule for sticking it up Plato.

Darvall
madamx_at_mikka.net.au
>From quiet homes & first beginnings

Out to the undicovered ends
Theres nothing worth the wear of winning But laughter & the love of friends.
Hilare Belloc