Orlanthi cultural keywords

From: Tadaaki Kakegawa <yelmalio_at_za2.so-net.ne.jp>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 19:46:30 +0900

 Hello,

 I enjoy reading Wesley Quadros' Gwandor Saga series on web and other  orlanthi materials in Enclosure #1,#2, Tales #18, and Ye Book of  Tentacles #2 recently, but has some questions about orlanthi cultural  keywords and others.

  1. What accurately do these words mean?
    • weregild
    • housecarl (or huscarl?)
    • weaponthane
    • fyrd
    • feud
    • kinstrife
    • clan (or tribal) champion
    • godi
    • god-talker
    • law-speaker
  2. What are difference between "tula" and "stead"?
  3. Is Elmal still worshipped among Sartarite? Yelm is not recognized as "the Sun"?
  4. Can I call worshiper of Elmal as "Elmalion"?
  5. How orlanthi live in the stead? How many families does belong to a stead? How often weponthane patrol visit? How they farmers defend themselves from dangers of wilderness (chaos/bandit/raid)?
  6. Keeps (Runegate , Jalorar etc.) has owner clan ? or Royal House kept it?

 I appreciate any other teaching about customs of storm barbarians.

 Regards.